Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Student's Perspective

Moody Bible Institute’s annual Founder’s Week was started 110 years ago for students, and over the years, we have been blessed by the many friends of Moody who have shared their love for this annual conference with us. Today, in honor of Founder's Week and our heritage, we are posting a student’s perspective on this historical conference.

By Krystallin Baker, Senior, Communications major and Pubic Relations intern 
I still remember my first Founder’s Week three years ago. I was a transfer student, and having lived in Chicago not even a semester, I found the city overwhelming and exciting. As I sloshed through snow and dodged patches of ice on the sidewalk during my mile-long walk to The Moody Church from campus, I thought Founder’s Week seemed too good to be true. 

Transferring in to Moody Bible Institute has given me a different perspective on a lot of things here, Founder’s Week being one of them. The concept of a college allowing you a week off from classes to attend a Bible conference was foreign to me. Three years later, as I walk to the last Founder’s Week of my Moody career, I still count it a blessing to be allowed the privilege of free attendance, a week off from classes and the chance to listen to some of the world’s finest Christian speakers.

Over the course of my years at Moody, I have a myriad of memories associated with this special week. There is of course the freezing cold; as the campus-wide joke goes, the temperature is guaranteed to drop right before opening session Monday night. And, there’s the crazy rush to the school cafeteria at meal times. But of all the memories I’ll take away with me from Founder’s Week, the strongest and brightest are my memories of the great truths God has taught me during these weeks.

Though I probably won’t remember the name of every speaker who crossed the threshold of The Moody Church, the stories they have told, the testimonies shared and the Biblical truth they have communicated carry eternal significance in my life. I have been encouraged by stories of God’s victory, such as the testimony of Wess Stafford. I have been convicted by the compelling messages “greats” such as Chuck Colson and Franklin Graham. And, I have been humbled by the Scriptures shared by countless speakers whose names are too numerous to list.

Founder’s Week is a busy time for students, running from session to session all day long, working on copious amounts of homework, and, for many of us, working jobs amidst it all. But, Founder’s Week is an incredible opportunity to silence our hearts, be still before the Lord our God and listen to His Word taught brilliantly by His gifted children. Moody has a legacy that stretches across the years, a legacy I am overwhelmed to think I am some small part of. A legacy reflected in the Biblical teaching of Founder’s Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment