Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Q & A with Moody's Provost

Recently, Jamie Janosz, associate dean of student transitions and associate professor of communications, sat down with Dr. Junias Venugopal, provost and dean of education, to learn about how God led him to Moody in July 2010 and his hopes for education. 

JJ: Dr. Venugopal, I understand that you have a very diverse background. Could you explain how you became interested in Christian higher education?

JV: God called me to a ministry of helping people develop in their spiritual walks with Christ and to do this as a catalyst, so that I am not adding any part of me to the process, but that it is all Him they seek to emulate.

First, I did this as a pastor. After a few years, I realized that the pastor is an educator. The Church is about moving people one step closer in their spiritual walks, and that is also the role of Christian education. 

  
 “I don’t want students to walk out of Moody with diplomas, but without the passion of faith. There are three parts of education that need to be part of any curriculum: head, heart and hands. My focus is on the heart, the passion of loving Christ.”
— Junias Venugopal


JJ: Why did you decide to come to Moody Bible Institute?

JV: Moody is the premiere place to train people for ministry. I was invited by Paul Nyquist to apply, and I felt God directed me to Moody.

I first become familiar with Moody while studying at Dallas Theological Seminary. And, Columbia International University, where I spent the last seven years, was founded with the intention to be the “Moody of the southeast.” I have found that Moody has a greater focus on evangelism, with more of a heart for the city.

JJ: What would you like to accomplish as our provost and dean of education?

JV: A provost has an opportunity to shape both culture and curriculum–sometimes more than the faculty who actually make the curricular decisions.  Because of the faculty’s focus on teaching their particular disciplines, they might not see the big picture that is available from an administrator’s vantage point.

On that note, I would love to see a robust general education curriculum. Our students need to think as well as they minister. I’d like Moody grads to be the most well-grounded, articulate witnesses for Jesus Christ. The Christian minister of tomorrow has to be an astute and winsome witness.

Additionally, I don’t want students to walk out of Moody with diplomas, but without the passion of faith. There are three parts of education that need to be part of any curriculum: head, heart and hands. My focus is on the heart, the passion of loving Christ.

JJ: It is great to hear how student-focused you are. How would you describe Moody students?

JV: They love the Lord. They are passionate about serving God and are loyal friends.

JJ: As you look to the future, what challenges lay ahead for education at Moody?

JV: One challenge will be for us to resource all of Moody’s educational venues. We need to develop more ways to bring in finances as we don’t want to change D.L. Moody’s historic concept of debt-free education.

We also need to develop a well thought out strategy for all of our campuses and Distance Learning. I want us to consider how we can best develop global partnerships through these venues.

And, we need to remain committed to our core curriculum in order to produce the best Bible and theology scholars.

No comments:

Post a Comment