Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Music Ministry Made Possible through Generosity

This semester, students in an Intro to College Writing class on the Chicago campus were given the assignment to write a short narrative about an experience at Moody that made them grateful for our donors. Today’s blog post is the second in this three-part series. You can read the first here.

By Blake Fewell, freshman Theology major 
The equipment had been loaded into the truck, and we were about to set off for our three-day excursion.  This would be my first Winter Tour with the Moody Symphonic Band.  I was a bit nervous about how things would go once we reached our destination, but I looked forward to the fun time of fellowship and service.

As we pulled into the first church’s parking lot, the mechanics of setting up went into full force.  Like a well-oiled machine, the small church chapel was completely set up and ready for a concert.  The baton came down and the music soared from the instruments, filling the entire room with the majesty of God’s gifts of talent to us students. 

Blake Fewell
After a few pieces of music, our president stood to give his address to the congregation.  He mentioned how the Symphonic Band and Moody Bible Institute were funded through Moody Publishers and our generous donors.  His words reminded me how grateful I was that I could play in concerts with this band across the United States, with no cost to me.  I had previously gone on band tours where thousands of dollars had to be raised to participate, but by the generosity of donations, I could join in this ministry without worrying financially. 

We continued to play our music and worship God in our ministry.  One student got up and stood at the microphone.  Her dark hair glistened in the light as she sang a song reminding us that, at the end of time, there would be no more night and no more pain.  As she sang these words, I was reminded of my situation back home: a dad without work, a mom struggling in her job, and little money in the bank.  I thought; however, how fortunate I am to be able to go to Moody without the worry of debt and that, even though things are hard at the moment, all things will be restored to their former glory when Christ returns.

The concert finished and we packed up the equipment in the same mechanical fashion.  The church building was completely put back together, as if we had never even been there.  We grabbed our belongings and headed to our host homes: a great ending to a great evening of worshiping God through our music.

No comments:

Post a Comment