Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Interceding Prayer

There are many prayerful employees at Moody Bible Institute but one in particular always seems to stand out as often you can find him praying for the students and staff in the Culbertson Hall prayer chapel. Today we hear from him and his experience praying through his work at Moody.

By, Oakley Smith, custodial administrator, Facilities

I have found that on rare occasion, communication with another person reaches paramount level. My spirit affirms that the person so well understands and experiences my thoughts and motives that it causes great inward rejoicing and at least for that circumstance, I have found good fellowship.

When we come to God with a clean and open heart, we can begin to understand His ways and view things from His perspective.  We identify with Him and agree with Him.

In the 1982-1983 school year I had regular contact with a student who helped me wash windows during his freshman year.  In his last two years at Moody he worked off campus but we stayed in contact.  He had a heart for Latin America and since his graduation God has used him to show the love of Jesus in several countries. I consider it a privilege to pray for him work he is doing. Individuals have been saved and lives changed through his ministry, and although I am not physically there it is an honor to have a part through the prayers I pray. In similar fashion, a few years ago I met another student with special talents and a great spirit; he is now part of a team spreading God’s love in a difficult place, and it is a joy to have a part in seeing Him work.

Moody Bible Institute is a unique place; God's providential hand has graced us for 125 years.  For all of our multi-faceted programs and contacts, there is no doubt that the students always have been and still are the heart of our ministry, and serving them is the core of our work. I have had the opportunity to get to know members of the student body pretty well.  My hope is that when God leads us into specific, regular contact with certain students we will take the opportunity of active prayer on their behalf, thus taking part in Jesus' work. Much like our founder D.L. Moody, I pray our hearts would be burdened for the children, or in this case the young adults.

2 comments:

  1. Oakley!

    you are one of those friends at Moody for whom i'm thankful. Through your glasses i know that you sincerely care. Your heart for prayer is actually an expression of your love for us (and the Lord).

    Seeing you in the tunnels or watching you pursue work with excellence usually catches my imagination with what God is doing in my heart & in our midst...Thank you Oaks. And next time i see you, let's be sure to pause and pray! J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LONG AND DESIRE TO BE A GREAT PRAYER WARRIOR. PLEASE PRAY FERVENTLY FOR ME

    ReplyDelete